Saturday, August 13, 2011

An Unexpected Speed Bump

I just finished the resource list for Denver, Colorado, and it brought up a very interesting dilemma I have come across, one that I frankly had not expected.

While I sometimes have to play with the formatting on some cities to fill the brochure, on others I find there are more resources than the page permits. At that point I have to make the decision as to which resources "make the list", and which I have to delete.

Because the people who make these places happen work so hard doing what they do, this is an agonizing choice.

My first elimination criteria is resources that are listed elsewhere. If, for instance, I have a resource listed in "clothing", I usually bump that off the list for "shelters". Similarly with food pantries, utilities, etc. My reason is that one listing means people will find the resource; the organization can then let them know what services they offer.

The next criteria is to select "umbrella agencies" over some of the more specialized organizations. There are some organizations (such as the United Way) that will usually point people to other available resources. Because they serve as referrals, these agencies get priority.

The incredible difficulty of compiling a nationwide list of resources is that I often do not know the agencies firsthand. So if you see a resource that is outdated, or that no longer serves the area...or if you see an important resource we have omitted, please let us know. It is our intention to provide te best available list of resources. It's not enough to simply provide the resources; we want to know that when we send someone to an organization that they will give them the assistance they need.

No comments:

Post a Comment