Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Rediscovering the Basics

Ok, so I now have three brochures ready to be copied and printed. I'd like to do more, but after pulling in resources last week at a breakneck pace, I'm trying to space things out to a manageable level.

If you haven't seen the brochure downloads, they're on the "resources" tab of the homepage at hoboslist.org . The way it works is simple: you print out the PDF brochure for side one (the outside) of the brohure. Now you are ready to print out the local resources page on the inside, fold, and distribute to your heart's content. I suggest you keep several in your glove box; then when you encounter anyone who you feel can be helped with the information, you can hand it to them. Eventually, I'd like to add an app so that when you need it, you can instantly pull up the location of the nearest shelter, food bank, etc...but that's a way down the road. I need to get the resources list assembled, and do some things down the road, such as make a website that projects more of the "feel" I'm hoping for. I'm kind of hoping I'll meet the miraculous person with tons of free time, talent, and enthusiasm...but barring that, I'll have to pick it up myself.

Shameless promotion alert: have you "liked" the Facebook page yet? I'm normally above such plugs (ok, not really), but I need to get to 25 "likes" in order to have added features and functions on the page. It doesn't cost nothing, you get awesome blog posts, and I am growing the list of other resources I have "liked" through Hobo's List. Keep in mind, these are the folks in the trenches. They need our support (volunteer and financial support), our prayers, our encouragement. Without them, an awful lot more people would be struggling in this great nation.

I'm always looking for ideas, so if you've got 'em, send 'em.

One more thing, folks. Keep watching this blog. I've got some really cool ideas on the burner, and you'll see them here first. I'll post the link to the Facebook page, but this is the official news release site.

OK, I lied about the "one more thing" part. As I was writing the last paragraph, I realized I was leaving you hanging, with a massivedisconnect between the title and the content. Anyway, as I was assembling the brochures, I had a slight formatting problem when copying/pasting from the information I had gathered to OpenOffice (yes, I'm a cheapskate...and I LOVE Oo). So here I am trying to figure out a fancy way to strip the formatting, when suddenly it occurs to me to just copy and paste into notepad, then oer to the document. Voila, no code.

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best solutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment