Tuesday, October 28, 2014

A Single Step to Eliminate Homelessness in 2015

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step...

For the last few weeks, I have been walking to get back in shape. Looking at my walking schedule, it occurred to me that, with consistency and determination, I can walk 1000 miles in a year.

And so I am deciding to make it count.

As of January 1, I will begin walking to a goal of 1,000 miles for 2015, and I'm asking my readers to help make it count to help end homelessness. I will launch a crowdsourced campaign where you can pledge to the campaign by the mile (a penny per mile is a $10 commitment). If I come short of the goal, I will refund the money, but this is something I can do.

All monies raised through the crowdsourced campaign will be donated directly to charities that serve the homeless population. In addition, I will be available for speaking engagements and appearances (such as 5k run/walk events), and will donate anything in excess of travel and lodging expense to the charities. I am looking for corporate sponsors as well as individual sponsors, so if you have any connections with corporations that might be interested in the project, feel free to send me the info.

The plans I have for the event are rather elaborate, but I would prefer to unveil them closer to the launch. Stay tuned; in the coming weeks I will launch a Facebook page, and will start unveiling the project over the next few weeks.

What you can do:

1. Share this and other links to promote the project.

2. Consider inviting me to speak in your community on the issue of homelessness for love offerings.

3. Walk with me during parts of my journey. I will keep a detailed journal of events so that supporters can walk alongside.

4. Speak with your representatives about the urgent need to change our approach to the homeless and abolish laws meant to criminalize homelessness (such as bans on sleeping in public and prohibiting charitable organizations from feeding the homeless).

Thank you in advance for your support. With your help, we will make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment