Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Story the Homeless Studies Don't Tell

Over the years, I've frequently heard the term "there but for the grace of God go I" tossed about. It's become a rather pithy saying.

But in my case, it's true.

One of the reasons I have a passion and a desire to work with the homeless is because I honestly understand some of the problems facing them. Not al of them, mind you (nobody can truly know everyone's story), but enough to know the stories the homeless studies aren't telling.

It's easy to comprehend mental illness when we see someone talking to themselves or shouting at some imaginary enemy. It becomes a bit more problematic when te disabilities you can't see crop up. For instance, when days of interacting with people overloads you so much that your chest tightens and simply walking out of the house produces a sense of anxiety. When the bills pile up and a manageable situation suddenly becomes unmanageable because you shut off all communication with the outside world for weeks at a time. In those moments, it's easy to place blame, easier still to judge, if you are standing outside.

And it is in those moments that those who suffer these moments of anxiety are forced into a fight-or-flight state that often leaves them homeless and jobless, with references that will not help them in finding future employment.

Finding competent help in those situations is not easy. Many insurance plans do not cover mental health treatment, and many individuals are a good distance from treatment. And in my 23 years as a Christian, I have found only a handful of pastors who were even willing to invest the time and effort in understanding and helping their congregants through these difficult times. They're far more concerned with the latest church building project, or, worse, with feeding the homeless, while sadly neglecting their souls.

How do I know this? Because I've lived it. When I graduated high school, I ran as far and as fast as I could from my hometown. I have a lousy credit rating from bills that remain unmanaged not because I can't manage them, but because panic takes over. I've walked a long and rather crooked trail because I simply couldn't bring myself to manage in the face of adversity.

And worst of all, when you seek any kind of assistance, you are quickly surrounded by naysayers who feel it is their right to condemn you to a second class status. When they see a food stamp card come out of your wallet, they're quick to scrutinize your purchase. Lest you think this is just paranoia, think of every "welfare cadillac" story you have ever heard. The fact that they can give you such a detailed list of what tese food stamp recipients are buying is ample evidence that they are closely scrutinizing the purchases. And when you pull out a medical assistance card, you are similarly scrutinized.

The problem is, the Bible does not give us latitude to judge. We're called to minister to the poor and the needy, not to question how they got there. And to call assisting the homeless "enabling" them is to treat them in a way that is not at all Christlike.

So the next time you see a homeless person on the street, don't just THINK "there but for the grace of God go I". Realize that only a small set of circumstances beyond your control makes the difference between where you are and walking in their shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment